Entering and Traveling to Poland

BorderSince 2004, Poland is a member of the European Union. Different by-laws apply for tourists from outside of the European Union. Its recommended to carrry your identification.

Citizens of the EU

Citizens of the EU entering Poland have to show a passport or other identification. The same rule applies to citizens of Switzerland, Iceland, Lichtenstein, which have a right of free commuting on the territory of the European Union.

Citizens from outside of European Union


Canadians must present a passport which must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of their expected departure from the Schengen area. Before you leave, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

Customs officials may ask you to show them a return ticket, proof of sufficient funds for your stay and proof of travel/ medical insurance.


Tourist visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Business visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Work visa: RequiredStudent visa: Required*

The 90 days begin upon initial entry into any country of the Schengen area.

To stay longer than 90 days, Canadians must apply either for a Polish visa in Canada before arriving in Poland or for a temporary residence permit while in Poland and must have a valid reason for extending their stay, such as education or employment. For information, please consult the Polish Office for Foreigners.